rooticon
Newly Registered

Hello, I'm new here! Help me kill this darn tree!

Okay first of all, hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been dealing with this tree problem for YEARS. I have now decided that the tree has to go. I have a huge (probably 40-50 foot tall) Linden tree out front of my house. I have to park my car right under and next to it, and especially in the spring and dead summer months, pollen and this tree sap-like stuff gets all over my car and on other objects near the tree. My question to you guys is, how can I go about killing this tree, BESIDES cutting it down with a chainsaw? (I know that is the easiest way) I have searched on Google for tree killer products, but would anyone here like to recommend a good tree killer product or how to go about killing a Linden tree specifically? I know all trees are different so I am sure there are different kinds of ways to kill different kinds of trees. I was looking at killing the tree slowly so it slowly dies, then I will remove it with a saw or something like that when the tree is weaker and not as strong as it is now.

Any help with this? Thanks in advance. :D

SaulsX

Hello. Don't really support the idea of killing or felling a perfectly healthy tree, especially one as large, old, beautiful and beneficial, but I can understand that the sap has become a nuisance that you can no longer tolerate. Sounds like an aphid, or some other pest, infestation that you might be able to deal with, though, instead of getting rid of the tree. Can't comment on the pollen problem since I live in SC and it's just normal for everything to be covered in yellow-green for a while.

I'm no expert on the subject and can't recommend a specific way of killing that particular tree, but if you have to fell or kill it, I'd first make sure there isn't some kind of city or town ordinance that would require you to get a permit or something, like some kind of environmental or conservation law. Again, not an expert and I have no experience, but there are some methods that I've found just by researching online: herbicides (don't know how effective it would be on a mature tree, wouldn't use a chemical herbicide, and you risk killing everything around it), girdling, or just cutting it down as safely as possible.

I'd be inclined to call a tree removal service or contacting the community extension service.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If the tree is a "street tree," I.e. growing between the public sidewalk and the public street, it may be considered city property, therefore not yours to kill unless you get a permit. You might want to check with your city government.

If the tree is on your property, it may be safer to remove the it, and unless you do that for a living, you may want to hire a professional. Dead trees are more likely to come down in strong winds. If the tree is on your property and were to land on someone else's house/car/fence/etc., you might be held responsible.

Anyway, that's the way things are where I live. Could well be very different in your area.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”