Sharon Marie

Dogwood Blooms

If they give off a smell, could someone describe it? We have a tree with white blooms in our front yard that are almost gone now. They don't smell very good. Do bradford pears have a smell? The tree was here when we moved in. There are lots of these types of trees in my neighborhood.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Dogwood blossoms are unique. Note the little "cutout" at the tip of each of the 4 petals. I have read that they have a nice scent, but my trees are new and haven't bloomed yet. Soon, I hope! :D

[img]https://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/9093699_3d5280c4df.jpg[/img]

Bradford pear flowers have 5 petals.

[img]https://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/biohires/p/hpyca80flfront31282.JPG[/img]
Last edited by Kisal on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think dogwoods have (much?) scent, maybe just lightly floral. The white petally looking things are not actually petals they are bracts, like a poinsettia has.

There's something called an English dogwood that is very fragrant, but it isn't a true dogwood and is also known as mock orange.

Bradford pears have a smell that this author described as "sweaty socks," so if your tree doesn't smell very good that's probably it:
https://www.gardenguides.com/106133-dogwood-vs-bradford-pear.html

Sharon Marie

Well, the tree doesn't grow only "up" it grows wide too. I am going to check out the blooms in the morning.

uniquegardenplants

Most likely a Bradford or Cleveland Select Pear from what you are describing. Pears have bloomed by now in most areas and they do put off a strong, pungent odor that is very distinctive. Bradford Pears are also one of the most common street trees planted throughout the country. If the overall growth habit is wide and conical, with heart shaped glossy leaves that resemble Linden, then that's probably what it is.

Sharon Marie

Ok, looked at the blooms. It's a bradford pear. The old owners have trimmed it before (perhaps when it was young) and it needs trimmed again. Can I have it trimmed now? Would that hurt it or invite disease?

uniquegardenplants

Shouldn't hurt it a bit to be pruned now. Just selectively prune out branches that are no larger than 1/3 diameter of the main trunk. Pretty tough trees, should flush back out fairly quickly.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”