kleighj
Newly Registered

saucer magnolia

Hi....I would like to have a few saucer magnolias but the only place I have left is primarily in full sun....will this help or hurt them? Thanks...

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I don't think it would be much of the problem except around bloom time. Mine gets sun after 12 until it goes down, but I wish the blooms would last longer so if it's in a windy location look at them in the morning because by evening they could be gone.

applestar
Mod

I thought saucer magnolias are big trees. Are they understory height trees?

My magnolia is out in full sun, but it's the small flowered kind (unfortunately I lost the tag -- it was a girl's name of some kind... magenta flowers) I don't think it's supposed to get much bigger than 12~15'.

It had not been growing well -- I mean it had good growth, but the leaves would turn gray and fall around mid-summer. I decided it was a combination of early summer mildew problem followed by drought, so I started spraying with 10% milk as soon as the humid weather started, and I also dug a swale upslope of it to sequester water. You should've seen the gorgeous flowers it had this year. DH was impressed. :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”