linda-ugg
Newly Registered

swedish birch tree

Hi
My Swedish Birch Tree's nice green leaves are turning yellow and falling off!! The tree's were planted about 2 months ago in a sunny part of our garden. please help.
linda :?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Have you been watering your tree?

Spring and summer is actually a bad time to plant trees because if not watered properly they will succomb very quickly.

Also, the trees are not dormant and therfore can be stressed when transplanted.

linda-ugg
Newly Registered

I have been watering the trees every day! The trees were in pots when we got them. We have used some plant food (miracle grow), could this affect them?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You may have burned the roots of the tree with the miracle grow. Also, everyday may be a bit much. You could also be overwatering your tree(s).

We recommend using organic fertilizers and ammendments because with them,

1) You cannot burn your plant
2) Your plant is able to absorb what it needs as apposed to getting a huge input of nutrients all at once
3) Organic soil ammendments also provide the micro as well as macro nutrients needed or plants to grow and be healthy
4) They are by definition: slow release
5) Alot of organic ammendments can and are free

But, I would recommend using liquid fish or seaweed fertilizer once a week and I always add a handful of kelp meal to plants when I plant them

Compost is also good, you can buy it or make your own. Leaf mulch is great as well. I run over the leaves with the lawn mower to quicken their decomposition

linda-ugg
Newly Registered

thank you I will try that.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”