patriciacarol
Newly Registered

Help Needed to Identify Seedlings

Last weekend my mother brought me 8 seedlings. 4 were Flowering Dogwood and 4 were Appalachian Redbud. My mother got them all mixed together. How do I tell which is which so that I can plant them appropriately? I was able to see a pretty distinct difference in the 2 kinds, but don't know which is which. One set has a thiner "trunk" and splits further up the "trunk". That same set has a pinky/purplish tint to the bark. The other set splits off early on the "trunk" and has normal bark color. This second sets' roots are more bent and thick. If pictures are needed I can post them this evening... They have no leaves so I am perplexed. Please help!!!!!

applestar
Mod

I was rushing to post that Redbud has heart-shaped leaves, then realized you wrote that they don't have leaves yet. :roll:

OK, well, I tend to think my redbud seedlings (I have 2nd year seedlings -- mine are Cercis canadensis)have more reddish mahogany-colored bark than a typical flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) (I don't have seedlings to compare to) which I tend to think has grey bark. Dogwood buds should be more developed at this time of the spring than redbuds' with a more round appearance compared to redbuds' pointy ones.

patriciacarol
Newly Registered

I thought the bark of the red buds would be the colored ones, but my online research told me differently. I pulled 2 out to bring to a coworker who wanted 2 redbuds. The main difference I could see was the bark and the rooting. I think I will just go with you and give her the smaller seedlings with the reddish hued bark

applestar
Mod

I was just outside and realized I forgot to mention one particular characteristic of redbuds -- the stem/trunk grows in zig-zag with the buds at the angles. :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”