Marsman
Green Thumb

Overgrown Office Tree

Hello Folks,

I usually hang out in the Bonsai section, but I figured this would be a better place to post this question.

I need some advice. A friend just moved into the office and brought with her a tree. She says it's over 20 years old, and I believe her. I remember it when I started my career here 27 years ago. As you can see, it's gotten a bit leggy. What can we do with it? I don't think it will back-bud, so pruning the branches back won't help. Would this type of tree air-layer well?

Any advice would be welcome.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Various%20Hosting%20Pics/bc7f8eb4.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it's a Norfolk Island pine, but I know very little about their care and culture.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yup, norfolk island pine. all the advice i can give is a bigger pot and more space.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Would it survive in the ground in Zone 6?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's native to the sub-tropics, so I doubt it would do well outdoors year-round in CT. :(
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Marsman
Green Thumb

Guess that option is out. :roll:

mdvaden

You can make it shorter so it will last longer indoors. Try your Bonsai skills, minus the dwarfing.

Replant the rootball tilted to it angles the trunk. Bend and brace the trunk into a bowed shape. That will cut its height by 40%.

Also reposition and brace the branches horizontal to the ground after that.

Not sure if you would like the look, but I would.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Good idea. I'll go check and see how flexible the trunk is. I also have to see it she would want the tree reshaped.

applestar
Mod

I was at a nursery greenhouse where they had this. At first I didn't recognize the tree, but when I did, I was reminded of this thread so snapped a picture:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6673.jpg[/img]

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”