Florida Gal
Newly Registered

Want to put my Bonfire Patio Peach Tree into the ground

I have two Bonfire Patio Peach Trees that I pulled out of the ground at my brother's house in Memphis, TN (they were about 6" high). Took them to my home, then Tennessee too and put them into a fairly large pot. That was about 18 months ago and now they are about 2 ft. high and still in same pot.

They bloom beautifully and have lovely red leaves. Since we've been here in Pensacola, Florida they have really started growing faster and I feel they would love being in the ground.

Question is when is the best time to transplant these beauties? I know usually "trees" are planted in the fall but does that relate to these?

Any help would be appreciated. Am brand new to this forum and look forward to many questions being answered to you "gurus". :lol:

Many thanks in advance,

Florida Gal

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

The best time is when the tree is dormant, no leaves, however if you do plant give it the same expsoure that it had for the past 18 months. If leafed out you should spray the leaves with water in the evening as well as the roots. Just make certain there are no air pockets when planting in the ground, tamp the soil down with the end of your shovel.

mrsgreenthumbs

Great advice, I planted my red baron peach in the fall... or winter... can't remember and it did fine. One thing you have to keep in mind is that trees are pretty permanent when planted in ground. So when planting dig a MUCH larger and deeper hole than the tree "needs" then add in the good stuff. Compost, good soil, rotting stuff, pond muck you name it. When I planted my tree it was roughly 5 ft. tall and I planted a BUNCH of worms, rotting muck, pond muck, compost (I bought from home depot) and all sorts of stuff, including a shot of miracle grow. filled around the hole with the same and let it go. A year later and my tree is ...oh Id guess... 7 or 8 feet tall and recently got whacked down (that was the last time I'll get slapped in the face with a peach tree branch!) and is producing well. I suggest feeding with spikes as well. I think the main reason (besides shock) to plant is the fall is to assure a good harvest of fruit. Last year was my peach tree's first harvest (and the neighbors STOLE all but 5) so I don't know how many it produced but they were DELICIOUS! this year I have itty bitty baby fruit all over the place so I do think that transplanting a fruit bearing tree has an impact on production of fruit.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”