AprilArchambeau

This is more of a climbing flowering vine question. Stumped?

This can be moved if needed. We put a few trellises around out carport, I want a climbing vine, would love red because roses would look great in front of it, but really any color does not matter, I want something that will flower the longest of the year. I am attaching a picture of the area, there are some old rose bushes that I am going to uproot and put somewhere else because I want that to be a very pretty focal point in my yard and they are poorly placed. The problem is....It barely gets sun there, MAYBE 2 hours a day, here is the picture, any suggestions on the trellis and the ground below are welcomed :)

[img]https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5572/img9883y.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) can grow in shady spots, but I'll warn you in advance to keep it away from the sides and roof of your house. It spreads by underground runners, too, so may pop up where you least expect it. I had to have some of the siding removed from my house when a shoot that I failed to notice emerged next to the wall and grew under the siding. An expensive lesson for me. I love my trumpet vine, because it attracts hummingbirds, but I'm very careful now to make sure it grows only on my chain link fence.

Clematis will grow in shady conditions, too. I'm especially fond of the Evergreen clematis (Clematis armandii). The flowers aren't as showy as others in the clematis family, but they have a lovely sweet scent.

I understand that Climbing hydrangea (Schizophragma hydrangeoides) also tolerates shade well, but I have never grown it. It's also called Japanese hydrangea.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

AprilArchambeau

Yea I found a really pretty Clematis, and it was red, would be great with everything else, but it said prefers full sun

That's some scary stuff about the trumpet vines, one good thing is my house is brick but I am sure there are other places it could grow without me seeing it lol

Any ideas for on the ground right there in front of the trellis?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The ones mentioned already - clematis, climbing hydrangea, and trumpet creeper -- are the traditional shade vines. The sweet autumn clematis, the white flowered, fragrant one is more shade tolerant than some.

Other possibilities include chestnut vine, confederate jasmine, dutchman's pipe, honeysuckle trumpet vine (hummingbirds love it and it is better behaved than the trumpet creeper).

If you don't care about flowers, Virginia creeper will cover your trellis quickly, is a nice looking plant with fall color and berries. But it is also a fairly aggressive spreader.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

AprilArchambeau

I will google all of them tomorrow, I just want something to give me a pop of color, everywhere! I definitely want color, yellow or red would match the brick house best I assume....

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”