Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Bamboo

I ordered some IRON Bamboo seeds and some MOSO Bamboo seeds on Ebay. Instructions say to plant the seeds keep them wet and they will sprout in a month. I tried that last summer it did not work. I kept the seeds cold all winter now I have the seeds in a sprout jar. Fill the jar with warm water very morning and every evening and dump off the water leaving the wet seeds to sprout. It has been almost 2 months no sprouts yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

applestar
Mod

I bought some Moso Bamboo seeds. I'm not starting them until 4/1 because I don't have the room to keep them protected if they grow very fast, but I'm planning to use this method:
Seed Treatment:

1. Rinse seeds with clean water.
2. Soak seeds for 5 minutes in 10% salt water solution. Rinse.
3. Soak seeds for 15 minutes in clean water.
Further instructions are at: https://www.gator-ventures.com/bamboo/bamboo-propagation/bamboo-seed-germination.htm

I have high hopes because this saline water treatment is similar to what commercial rice growers use for pre-treating seed rice in Japan.

luludi

what's the quality of your water? Ours is clorinated (yak), so for some seeds, I used filtered water which I had it in room temperature for about 12-24 hours before pouring in my sprouting jar. Not for bamboo, for different type of seeds, but was successful.
Good Luck

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”