savannahmcqueen
Newly Registered

Ornamental Pear

I have recently discovered this tree and I wanted to get some more information on the pros and cons of it. I know it has great foliage in the fall and beautiful flowers in the spring. I have also heard of an issue with suckers and tree splitting. Please let me know what your experience has been.

Savannah

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Look at this site on ' Bradford Pear '.
It may help a little.

applestar
Mod

My neighborhood was developed in the early~mid-80's when this cultivar was first "introduced" to the landscapers. Ugh. My neighbor across the street chopped down his when 1/3 of the tree split and fell in his other neighbor's front yard. He said part of his job with a near-by township is to go around cutting down these trees during the summer after big storms bring down the branches. They're all at that stage of maturity.

Here's *my* opinion: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118743#118743 :twisted:

Gardentime

Ornamental Pear

The only experience I have with the bradford pear is that I planted one two years ago. My neighbors have a few and they are full and beautiful (almost like they prune them while everyone is sleeping). No large limbs have fallen yet, but I'm sure one of these years they will. I will have to take pictures this year as I am becoming more interested in gardening. They provide great shade in the summer, which will be great when mine gets larger, as the sun can be extreme on our front bedrooms during the summer. I have seen about 5 or 6 other ones around my town that look "perfect," but have also been in another town where every single one is missing half of the tree. They are my favorite "front yard" tree, even over Maples. I think they are great if you have one or two at most, but when a town has dozens of butchered pear trees it looks a little trashy.

Goodluck!
"At the end of the day you should be proud of what you have planted"

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”