C00KiE46

Does my tree have a disease?

Last week we decided to prune our tree cause we noticed dry branches on the tip of them. The center of the branch was soft (you were able to remove the insides if you wanted to). Here's a pic on how it looked.[img]https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/M0MMiE_album/IMG_3521.jpg[/img]
Should we just saw off the whole branch to the trunk?
[img]https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/M0MMiE_album/IMG_3522.jpg[/img]
A week after we cut it it looks like this
[img]https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/M0MMiE_album/IMG_3524.jpg[/img]
Another branch looks like this
[img]https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/M0MMiE_album/IMG_3523.jpg[/img]
Does this tree have a disease? Can we save it? This tree is really pretty when it blooms. TIA!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have very little experience with trees, but unfortunately I *have* seen this pattern on one of mine in a large container.

I've been babying my cherry tree along for five or so years now, after the borers found it. The cherry bark looks like yours, and the tiny holes are exactly like yours. :(

Sorry I can't give you a link at the moment; I just got home and need to get to a client document. Maybe an Internet search on "borers" and "trees"? Or others here, with more tree experience, will know right off the bat exactly which species is attacking your tree.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Pineville

That is quite a bit of decay showing, with just a bit of cambium left around the outside to sustain the tree. The last picture showing the trunk of the tree indicates severe damage to the trunk. It appears to be healing/callusing at the bark, but it also looks like decay going right into the trunk. The callusing area will eventually close up the wound, but the damage to the tree could be permanent, and ultimately kill the tree. You could easily have a few years left with that tree- but it will probably decline with each passing year.

C00KiE46

^^^ The last picture is not the trunk. That branch (not sure if it is a branch cause its a big one, not sure what you call it), but it is 1 of 3 coming from the trunk. If we just saw off that whole branch (last picture) will our tree be ok? I would hate for the tree to die. I would want to try and save it. Also, how did the tree get like that? We moved in our house a year ago and seen the tree and thought it was ugly cause it had no leaves and looked dead until it bloomed and looked real pretty.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

For specific advice, like "Can I cut off this limb of the tree and have the tree survive?" the best thing to do is call a professional arborist.

The arborist will take note of the overall health of the tree, the soil in which the tree lives, how close to the house the tree is, etc. Without a complete photographic study of the tree and a tremendous amount of information regarding your house, soil, tree, etc., almost no one here would be qualified to render full assistance on your situation.

Those few who are experienced pro's with trees would most likely hold back because they can't observe the tree close up for themselves.

I have an arborist check on my redwood every 2 to 3 years. The tree is so tall that, if it were to come down, it would take one, if not two, houses with it. We're quite diligent about its health, believe me! But we have a professional arborist come in person and check it out, since we have so much riding on the health of the tree.

Best wishes.

Cynthia

Pineville

I would suggest at least pruning off the branch with the decay. If you place a high value on the tree, then yes, consulting an arborist is a good idea.

I can't tell what kind of tree that is from the photos- knowing your geographic location would help also.

The damage to the tree around the callused area is either from pruning a branch too close to the trunk - removing the branch collar- or perhaps damage from a storm. How it happened doesn't matter, but the damage is done, and rot has entered that branch. If you cut the branch off, you'll need to be careful to leave the 'branch collar' - this is the area where the branch meets the trunk, and the bark here looks different, growing in a circular direction around the branch. The branch collar, when left intact, will callus quickly and help to prevent any disease/decay from entering the trunk. If it is a large branch to prune, you should under cut the branch first, then cut from above. This will prevent the branch from tearing into the trunk if you had only cut from above.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”