homegrown13

Palm Blew Over But Now has New Growth - Can I Save it?

So, I had a row of queen palms put in... shoot, I have to guess about 18 months ago... probably a little more.

Anyhow, 4 of 5 are growing great, however one blew over in the wind about 2-3 months ago. I tried re-staking (though it was a feeble attempt), and have even tied the palm off to two points on a nearby fence.

There is new growth on the palm within the last month.

When I grab the trunk, I can move the tree and see a disturbance in the soil.

Sorry I don't have much more to go on than that, however if somebody thinks they can truly assess the situation from pics or video I can arrange that.

My question is: Should I try to re-stake and tie it up, or should I remove and put in another tree now to try to keep the tree line the same (or close)? Should I try to dig it up and re plant it in it's same spot? Does anybody have an alternate solution?

This is happening in the same planter that I am referring to back filling in another thread.

Thanks in advance!!!!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Stake it studier right next to the plant so the wind doesn't move it.

homegrown13

Thanks Bull. Did put in a sturdier stake however I think I discovered a worse problem.

While digging up a couple old hop roots (opposite side of the yard), to see if I could pull off a rhizome or two for a friend, I noticed I had nothing but rotten root balls :-(

I also noticed a lot of what I first thought to be caterpillars, however upon further examination, and some help from google, I seem to have found that they must be beetle larvae. While I know I've always fought June Beetles (scarabs? Those green guys...), in my veggie garden, I never knew that they could actually cause damage to roots.

After looking at the palm (and recollection fromk seeing them about a year prior), I did notice several, small, well what look to be eggs. I also looked at the adjacent palm tree, and have found a new batch of eggs.

Well, long story short, I'm going to pull the fallen palm out and replant, and I'm going after them with some Carbaryl Sevin-5. This is all the help at Lowes could offer. Does anybody have experience with this stuff, and/or fighting beetle Larvae in general?

Thanks again!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would take a few of the larvae to the nearest Extension Service office, to see if they could help provide a definite ID. Sevin is pretty nasty stuff. I've never used it myself, but you can enter it into the Search function here -- up on the black tool bar -- and learn quite a lot about it. It's been discussed on several threads over the past couple of years, at least.

Once you have a definite ID for what you're fighting, the best way to go, IMO, would be to buy some beneficial nematodes, or for Japanese beetle grubs, some Milky Spore powder (Bacillus popillae-Dutky). The Extension Service, if they're able to ID the grubs for you, will also probably be able to offer suggestions for safe controls, as well. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”