New2stuff
Newly Registered

I need suggestions how to properly take care of a new tree

Ok so my grandmother is giving me a baby magnolia that just started growing from a seed of her huge magnolia tree. I would like to know suggestions on when and how to get it from its current location to my house (about a 10 minute drive) and when and were and how to plant it properly without causing any damage to it at all. Its been over 30 years since she planted the big one and she doesn't remember how to do all of this. I live in Florida so it rains here a lot, in my backyard I have places that flood during rain and places that stay dry. Also, I have morning sun from the east and the evening sun in the west without any room to plant north or south of the house. Also, is it possible to have it potted for a few years or is that a bad idea?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Get an empty pot and dig enough soil around the roots, if the soil falls away you could have a problem and if that happens plant it immediately. After setting it in the new hole add soil, water and tamp the soil around the roots, with the end of your shovel, throw in some bonemeal, and plant in the dry section and water once a week if no rain at dusk.

New2stuff
Newly Registered

ok one tiny little problem though. I finally got to see the tree tonight its less than a foot tall and it managed to grow itself between the roots of a 20 year old oak tree. I'm not sure if I'll be able to save it. She is going to pull it up if I cant take it. How should I go about digging it up without damaging the oak?

Pineville

If it is only a foot tall, it shouldn't be too difficult to dig out. It will be easier if the soil is wet. Try using a digging knife or a narrow trowel.

New2stuff
Newly Registered

Ok thanks! I had planned on moving it tomorrow but it's getting cold again, not sure if that's a good idea. I want to have it potted for a while anyways so I can protect it from all the freezes we've been having this year though so I may just go ahead and do it if we have a warmer day this week.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”