mclauss
Newly Registered

Dogwood damage

I just joined the forum after viewing several - this one seems to be the most helpful.

We have some property in the Post Oak Savanna area of Texas. There are numerous Dogwoods that we have tried to leave intact as we cleared some of the most dense areas of yaupons for a access road. One of the larger dogwoods got some fairly severe bark damage by the drum shredder used for the clearing. This occurred almost a year ago - we sadly just noticed it! There has been some borer infestation in the damaged areas as you would expect. I have a good picture of the damage. The tree is still alive and I was wondering if anything can be done to help it at this point.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You might be able to tar or paint it. Grown in the wild dogwoods aren't the healthiest of specimens but it also depends on the soil.

mclauss
Newly Registered

Thanks - I was thinking more of a "wrap" of some type that could contain some borer insecticide in the damaged areas - to type stopping any further attack. It would be worthwhile to do this if has been proven successful.

Is there a way to post pictures on this forum?

Mark C

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

mclauss wrote:Is there a way to post pictures on this forum?
Yes. You will find the instructions for that, as well as a lot of other useful information about the forum, under the heading [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23]Helpful Gardener's Tips & Suggestions for New Members[/url]. :)

JONA878
Greener Thumb

My understanding has always been that dogwoods can be cut back to within six inches of soil level every couple of years to produce a stool bed which will encorouge much better colour on the young re-growth.
Any different over there?

Jona.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jona - sounds like you are talking about the red-twig type of dogwood, the shrubby ones. Don't think this would be the same for the tree type dogwood, would it?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Jona - sounds like you are talking about the red-twig type of dogwood, the shrubby ones. Don't think this would be the same for the tree type dogwood, would it?
Yes your right RB. There are over 40 vars is the genus and a lot are the large tree types.
These you would not normaly have to prune at all.
All the same.. Cornus are quite a tough species and if the trunk has been completely ruined by de-barking and the tree seems lost, it might be worth trying a low cutting just to give the tree a last chance.

Jona.

mclauss
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:
mclauss wrote:Is there a way to post pictures on this forum?
Yes. You will find the instructions for that, as well as a lot of other useful information about the forum, under the heading [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23]Helpful Gardener's Tips & Suggestions for New Members[/url]. :)

This is hopefully the URL for picture of the damage. Anyone that can help advise me further in helping this tree, please take a look - it is a beauty!

MarkC

https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9072/dogwood01.jpg

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”