Birddog

Willow tree too big. Can I cut it?

Here's my willow tree that I'd like to trim up this year. It keeps my veggie garden in the shade half the morning. I'd really like to get a couple hours more of morning sun on my veggies. Any suggestions? I've heard that topping a willow doesn't help as they just grow back fast and more vigorously.[img]https://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/jaydjeffries/willowtree.jpg[/img][/img]
In this picture, the sun come up on the right and the garden is to the left of this large tree.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

You can prune it, but it will most likely sucker or sprout all kinds of growth where it's pruned. Still if you take off a few lower limbs and open it up some, you might get more sun for a few years.

Salix babylonica is really not a tree for small spaces. If you have the wherewithal, you might remove it now before it gets much bigger, and plant something more manageable, and perhaps more garden friendly. Salix babylonica will also suck up all the available water, possibly even infiltrating any irrigation system, or a septic tank.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”