bdd
Newly Registered

Suggestions for hedge?

Hello. I live in a zone 9-10 area, and am looking for a hedge shrub to align the sidewalk in front of my house to act somewhat like a fence (to keep dogs or people from running into my yard). I have a small yard, and want just maybe 2-3 feet of shrubs.

Do you have any suggestions or websites that can help guide me on what's best? I haven't seen sites that narrow down by mature height AND zone. I'm also new to this... and would prefer something that doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

Thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know a site like that either...

To start with do you want it evergreen (as we usually think of hedges) or is a deciduous hedge ok? Is your area out by the street in full sun?

Classic evergreen hedge is boxwood and there are dwarf varieties of that. Alpine currant is a shorter evergreen hedge plant. Viburnums are a great deciduous hedge plant, with fragrant flowers in the spring, fruits that birds like, and again come in dwarf versions, so you can get them almost any size from tiny to huge.

Best bet would be to find a good local tree and shrub nursery (NOT big box store) where they know their materials and the local climate and talk to them about what you are looking for. Second best would be to get yourself a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book, which has lots of info about what to plant for specific western climate areas. Older editions are available very cheap on Amazon.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”