LotsOYardWork
Newly Registered

Is this fertilizer amount right?

I am a total newbie to gardening. I have two queen palms that are looking a big weary and I know they have not been feed in at least the past 5 months.

I bought some palm fertilizer and read the instructions but I am a bit concerned about the amount of fertilizer they are recommending I use per tree.

The recommendations state to use 1/2lb per 1" diameter of palm.

Well Queen palms do not have a consistant diameter. Mine have a 20" base diameter and a 4" upper diamter. Which one do I use?

Even if I use the 4" diameter measurement that is 2lbs of fertilizer. That seems like a lot to sprinkle around the base.

Any recommendations to a confused newbie?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry you didn't get a response... I don't know where all our tropical gardeners are. What part of the world are you gardening in?

Where I garden, palm trees don't grow, but I looked up this article for you on palm tree care:

https://www.broward.org/environment/pub_trees_2.pdf

It says

Initial Fertilization: Blend in fertilizer at the time of planting to enrich the soil removed from the hole. The mixing rate of two ounces of palm fertilizer per inch of trunk diameter (measured at ground level) should be sufficient. After watering and settling in the tree, one additional ounce of slow release palm fertilizer per three inches of trunk on the ground will get the tree off to a good start.

Established Palms:
Fertilization: Established palms should be fertilized with a slow release palm fertilizer a minimum of twice per year; four applications are better ... The application rate for established palms is eight ounces (half pound) per inch of trunk diameter*. Spread the fertilizer in the area one foot away from the trunk and out to the drip line of the tree. When possible, punch holes in the fertilized area to help with the surface absorption. Thoroughly soak the area after application with an open hose.

* this would still be measured at ground level

Hope this is helpful!-- it does sound like they are agreeing with the instructions you found. It does sound like a lot of fertilizer (10# s !) but it's a big tree. The fertilizer will be spread over a big area and then dug into the soil.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”