faunanan
Newly Registered

Wisteria Pruning in southern New York

Hi,
I just signed up in this gardening forum. I do a few gardening jobs in my area. One of the plants I'm trying to get to bloom is a wisteria. I've gone to the web and searched, and from what I gather, I prune twice a year. I've already done one pruning and believe I should go back and prune what I've already pruned a few months ago. This should be done around March. But the problem I have is going to several websites and getting different information. I was wondering if anyone knows of any books I can read that will give me solid information on the care of wisteria. The one I'm taking care of does not grow up on any formation. It's on it's own and sort of grows in a hoop style. It is a bit old. I've cut back all the runners. I'm hoping someone can help steer me in a good direction.

Many thanks,
Nancy

Pineville

Chances are, you have Wisteria floribunda, the most common Wisteria found in garden centers. It blooms on old growth (occasionally on new growth), so you need to be careful when pruning. I like to treat this like Hydrangea macrophylla; prune after flowering and stop pruning by late July.

faunanan
Newly Registered

Thanks for your input....appreciated!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”