Daisy Duke
Newly Registered

Weeping Cherry as a Container Plant

I am curious if Weeping Cherry Snow Fountain can be grown successfully as a container plant. Has anyone had any success with this approach?

Pineville

'Snow Fountains' is a cultivar of Yoshino Cherry hardy in zones 5-8. It is commonly grown in containers for nursery production. As a general rule of thumb, figure on one zone colder when using a plant in a container. Also, if you are in a zone higher than zone 8 it may not get cold enough in the winter for the tree to go dormant.

The tree in question also gets about 8' tall and wide, so you'll be doing some pruning over the years and maybe shifting up to a larger container.

Daisy Duke
Newly Registered

Thanks for the helpful information. Just out of curiosity what does it do to the tree if it doesn't get cold enough to go into dormacy?

Pineville

Trees that require a cold period (dormancy) will eventually die if they don't go dormant. This is a survival mechanism that trees that grow in colder climates have developed to survive cold weather. There are many trees that grow in cold climates that will not survive a zone 8, 9, or 10 winter. Some trees may survive, but they struggle.

Daisy Duke
Newly Registered

Hmmm. Drat. I am in zone 9 so it sounds like I may be pushing it with the weeping cherry. I just so want one.
Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”