Just Getting Started

Need advice on what flowering trees I can plant in a sunny a

I have a fence line that gets a lot of sun and will get plenty of water from a nearby drainage ditch. I would like to plant some Flowering trees along this fence. I live near Cleveland Ohio so they will need to be fairly strong against winter snows and cold temps. I would like for them to be fast growing if possible but I don't know where to look for this advice.

Thanks,

Just Getting Started

Pineville

Is the area always wet? If it is always wet, you choices are limited- if it dries out a bit between rains then you have many more choices.

Sweetbay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana) and Fringetree (Chionanthus virginicus) will work for wet areas.

If it isn't 'boggy' but stays moist and drains somewhat after rain then the two choices above would still work, as well as Kousa Dogwood (Cornus kousa), Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum), and Winter King Hawthorne (Crataegus viridus 'Winter King').

Of course, if it dries out out between rains, then you could use Cherry, Crabapple, Flowering Dogwood, and other species of Magnolias.

applestar
Mod

Ooh! If it's a wet area, how about Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis), Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia) or Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)? These are shrubs but will grow fairly big, especially the buttonbush.

As recommended above, Swamp/Sweetbay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana) is definitely a great choice too. There are several lovely named cultivars with different characteristics.

Personally, I love fragrant flowers and/or butterfly larval host and nectar plants.

If it HAS to be a tree, I believe Tulip poplar ( Liriodendron tulipifera) will also tolerate wet areas and has tulip like yellow flowers that is supposed to be attractive to hummingbirds and is a larval host for Tiger Swallowtail caterpillars, and Serviceberry (Amelanchier arborea) can also handle a certain amount of wetness.

If you care for fruit, native persimmons (Diospyros virginiana) is another possibility.

Not flowering (well it DOES flower obviously and is attractive to nectaring insects but the flowers are what's usually called "insignificant" -- small) but great winter interest: Winterberry holly (Ilex verticillata)

Choices, choices... :wink: (Hint: Consider their mature sizes -- Height AND Width, and the available space, and don't plant too close to the fence.)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Perhaps shrubs and trees together? You will get more flower power that way over a longer period...

Winterberry, witchhazel, redtwig and yellowtwig dogwood would all offer winter interest, spicebush is a great early spring flower, blueberries and raspberries make for summer flowers and fruit , and swamp rose and summersweet could add wonderful fragrance. Inkberry could add an evergreen touch...

This approach is called biohedging; I first remember running across this in Ken Druse's The Natural Habitat Garden, but I'm not sure if it predates that. With this method we have done more than just a few trees ever could; we have created multi-season, multi-use habitat that will look fantastic, draw oohs and ahhs, and best yet create a place that butterflies and birds can feed and shelter naturally. A garden where everyone can enjoy themselves, no matter what species! And you have turned the disbenefit of a ditch into valuable ecosystem!

8) :mrgreen:

I like Chris' choices; have used fringetree myself and it really smells great (boys are less scented but don't drop fruit). And sweetbay rocks, too...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”