Happypaws
Newly Registered

A hardy UK native tree needed for a special occasion!

Hello!

This is my first post but seems like the perfect forum to be on for my questions, I'm very new to gardening and trying to make my fingers green so please bear with me. :)

I'm moving out of my first flat soon and I thought it would be a nice idea to plant a tree in the garden before I leave as a little piece of me.

I'd like it to be a native species to the UK as well as having to be quite hardy as I won't be there to care for it. The garden involved is very overgrown but beside it theres a flourishing garden with plenty of palms in it so I assume its quite a well draining soil. The garden has quite high walls surrounding it but is raised well above street level.

I was thinking perhaps a Rowan having done some research, but I'd love other suggestions or advice.

Thanks in advance!

Kitty x

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us; hope you find it friendly and helpful.

I took the liberty of adding UK in the title of your post. I really don't know what is native in the UK, but there are tons (or should I say tonnes? :) ) of other UK gardeners around the forum, so I am hoping that will alert some of them to answer your question.

Best Wishes, leaving a tree behind seems like a nice thing to do.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Kitty,
Guess that the weather has hit you a bit down there in the west as well now.
Even so you are in the warmest part of the country and are able to grow a lot of plants that the rest of us would find too delicate.

Your Rowan would be lovely.
Another perhaps could be a Silver Birch. Always the first tree to herald a new woodland and the most lovely of barks amongst our native species.

Jona

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”