Gardentime

Recommendations for Weeping Specimens

We currently have a Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar in front of our house. We want to add another similar plant....Is a Weeping Norway Spruce or Weeping Pine a good choice? Any other suggestions welcome...

Thanks...

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Depending on your house. A blue atlas is indeed attractive but so is a weeping cherry. If you house has rigid lines putting in a spruce would clash but if it's a two story stone house a cherry would soften the look.

Pineville

There are lots and lots of weeping plants available, both evergreen and deciduous. It may pay to do a little research on the ultimate size of these plants- the Weeping Blue Atlas and Weeping White Pine get quite large as they mature. I have removed a few of these that were planted too close to a house. While you can control the width and height through annual pruning, I wouldn't recommend installing these closer than 10' from your house. The Weeping Norway tends to be a slow grower and stays a bit more compact compared to your other choices.

applestar
Mod

Size considerations for sure. Also it's going to depend on sun exposure, soil conditions, winter hardiness, etc.

That said, I can add weeping cypress to the evergreen list, weeping redbud and weeping hazel to the flowering tree list, weeping plum to flowering/fruiting, and weeping birch to the deciduous but not flowering tree.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”