Gardentime

How Much Does This Ornamental Tree Cost?

Hi,

I am always looking to update our landscaping. I would like to know how much a Laceleaf Japanese Maple costs at a local home center (I.e. Home Depot or Lowes)? The variety that seems popular is 'Acer palmatum var. dissectum.' I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of $60 for a 3-4 ft. tall by 3-4 ft. wide tree....Am I going to be spending more?

Thanks...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I bought one last summer, and it's about 3 1/2 or 4' tall. I'm not sure it's that variety. I bought it at a nursery, and I sure didn't pay any $60 for it. I doubt I paid more than $30 for it, if I even paid that much. Things tend to cost less around here, though, certainly more so than in the eastern U.S. And we have no sales taxes ... yet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are satisfied to start with a small tree in a one gallon pot (likely around 18" tall), you can expect to pay $30 for it.

Kisal's friendly local nursery aside, if you want to get a tree that someone else has spent some years growing mostly to maturity, you have to expect to pay for that. These trees only get 6-10' tall at maturity, which I think is generally considered 10 yrs. So if you want to buy one that is already at least 3 feet tall, you have to figure that someone has probably been tending it for 4-5 years. Yes usually a tree that size would cost $60 or more.

I bought a lovely baby one in a 1-qt pot for $10 at Kroger's (grocery) and am enjoying watching it grow in my garden.

MysticGardener67

When I worked lowes a few years back, I do not recall them selling laceleafs anwhere near that size. Bloodleafs, sure. But not the laceleafs. The ones they did sell were in gallon size pots and about a foot tall for 19.99

Umm a 4 ft tree will only be found in the privately owned gardencenters and nurseries. Looking at between $30-40 for 18-24inch rootball or a 10 gallon pot.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”