Zembas
Newly Registered

Date palm early germination

I managed to get a shop-bought date palm seed to germinate. Now it's in a pot (one that can be watered from below) and the the root has already extended a few inches downward.

So far I've kept the soil reasonably dry, just pouring a bit of water on top a few times. Should I start proper watering any time soon, and by how much? Is the root going to reach down all the way to the contact point with water if I just add some to the bottom instead of pouring water all over it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know whether it applies to date palms, as I've never grown one of those. In general, however, a plant does best if it is watered thoroughly, but only often enough to keep the soil moist. When you water, make sure the excess flows freely out the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. After watering, allow the plant to drain thoroughly. Never let the pot stand in water that accumulates in the drainage tray/saucer.

You don't want to keep the soil soggy or waterlogged, so allow the surface to dry before you water again. Use your fingertip to dig down into the soil, to see when it needs more water. Except in the case of cacti and succulents, most plants should be watered when the soil is dry down to about 1/2 inch.

Yes, the roots will continue to grow downward. Once the root system is extensive enough to fill the pot, however, they will begin to grow around. It's important to keep the plant in the correct size of pot, repotting it as it grows to fill the old pot.

HTH! :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”