RickNC

How should I trim this?

We planted two of these bushes this past summer. I'd like them to grow correctly but right now both of them have at least one long stem growing straight up. Curious if they should be trimmed during the winter. Thanks

[img]https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/RTrone/PC120133.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks like barberry, though it's a little hard to tell from photo. If it is barberry, it has vicious thorns, so you want to wear heavy gloves and be careful.

Winter is a good time, though barberry can be trimmed back pretty much any time. Just trim the long stems sticking out even with the rest and shape it. The main thing that you want to bear in mind is to leave it wider at the bottom and narrower at top, a little bit pyramid shaped. Otherwise the top shades the bottom and the bottom tends to die out.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Without a close-up, I can't be sure, but it looks like a pyracantha, aka firethorn (multiple varieties possible).

Sunset recommends letting pyracanthas grow naturally unless there's a good reason not to, but the name "firethorn" indicates thorns here, too.

Cynthia H.

RickNC

I don't remember what they are called. I know it is not barberry or the other one. They are very common around here. We got them at a nursery. They do not have any thorns. Just curious about how to trim shrubs like this. Thanks.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Chinese witchhazel. Prune selectively and if it isn't a semi-dwarf relocate in the spring because it will gobble up you house.

RickNC

Found the tag. They are Ruby Fringeflower Loropetalum chinense. Looks like chinese witchhazel.

MysticGardener67

L.chinensis Var. "rubrum" Is one of those shrubs that will only require minimum pruning to encourage healthy growth. Cut out anything dead, anything crossing ( save the larger healther stem) anything dieased and anything headed 'the wrong direction'

Lorapetalum is a very tough shrub that , if need be, can tolerate heavy pruning. It's growth habit is very simmilar to the Japanese Bush honeysuckle or Forsythia in shape. Vase shaped. What I like to think of as "up and out". This should be your mantra when shaping it Up n out, up n out. "Hedgecutting" or shearing would be a sin on all shrubs of this shape.

Fringeflower is a spring bloomer, this means that it will bloom on wood grown during the summer, so if you notice the amount of blooms seeming to taper off over the years, it is fine to do a light rejuvinational pruning.. cutting back, but not competely removing the young purplish twigs, leaving 3 or 4 'stem' buds immediately after flowering.

Such a lovely little shrub. Please take nice care of it. I think for now IE. next 3 years, I would let it do its own thing. Keep it nicely mulched and properly watered.

Oh , Though I hate to hotlink, here is an image of a Loropetalum hedge I found

[img]https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/graphics/1085/loropetalum_chinensis_var_rubrum_hedge_jw.jpg[/img]

Oh How I wish there was a zone 6 tolerant variety!

RickNC

I was just wondering if the long upward stems should be cut back. I'd like them to grow bush like and not all crazy. Thanks.

MajesticSC
Newly Registered

Rick, I trim mine in march. I don't think it will hurt to trim it now....

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”