oconnor22
Newly Registered

Tree Suggestions! Very amature gardener.

Hey Guys,

Found this forum and glad I did so far! Have included a shot of 2 out of 3 small retaining walls we've built to combat my ever difficult slope of a front yard, and boy, more work then I had bargained for!

[img]https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/oconnorams/90CompleteWall.jpg[/img]

Full sun pretty much all day where it is. Wanting advice on which trees to post on middle level as you can see above the lower wall. Id like to see 4 or so trees, something hardy and that wont ruin my retaining wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us... there are bunches of UK folks around here.

Great stonework! I have some appreciation for it, since I have a slope of my own (see [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18882&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fall+planting&start=0]fall planting pictures[/url] some of these showing the slope got deleted when I reorganized photobucket, some day I will put them back, but there's enough left that you will see what I mean)

The space in your middle level is smallish. To have something that won't outgrow it, ruin your nice stone work, or finish hiding your house, I'd go with shrubs instead of trees.

Something with bright flowers would be gorgeous against the backdrop of the evergreens -- maybe forsythia, rose of sharon, potentilla, roses (isn't that the quintessentially British garden thing?). Spirea or burning bush would have brilliant fall color which would also be nice against the evergreens. Lilacs are beautiful and fragrant. Serviceberry is a wonderful tree/shrub with berries that are beloved of about 40 types of birds. Viburnums have it all--fragrant flowers, berries that birds like, and fall color.

Just my thoughts.

Ofer

I would not think twice,

1. drwaf trees of apples - these are only 1 metre tall and ever so easy to grow- my father in law got in the front garden and it looks fantstic and taste fantastic. as they are so small the roots are small too.

Otherwise Espalie design of aples/ pears and other will get the fruit earlier as will benefit from hit coming back from bright walls.

I would say the variety is a matter of taste.

good luck

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”