Kaye

English Laurel Care & Transplant help

Hi all,
I tried search on English Laurel, no luck. Found Dwarfs, but mine are big.
Landscaper put them in two years ago as a foundation plant. Well, they have grown to twice the original size, and that prompted me to look into what they are. Tag says English Laurel. I googled, and found these guys grow 25 feet wide and 50 or so tall!?
Its a good thing, and a bad thing. Good thing, because I need or want some nice tall shrub on the side of my home that is NOT an arbor vitae like the rest of the town! Good thing also, because I want blue prince and princess hollies in the front foundation!
Bad thing is, I'm having trouble determining when to transplant, as they stay green. Local landscaper said he's never worked with them, so is unsure. Temps here in day right now are high 60's, with lows in 40's. No real freeze or frost yet. I am in the SE corner of the state (TN) and at 1600 ft sea level.
I am sure they will thrive where I plan to relocate them, I just don't want to kill them in the process. Any ideas?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you don't want them to take over your yard then take them to the dump. I've read they are a PITA. Your landscaper was clueless to plant them near a foundation, but then many are "have shovel will travel." If you don't want to be wrestling with them until you die throw them away or donate to a farmer. Arboretums don't want them.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”