Kozykitten
Newly Registered

Box Hedges

We bought some box hedges that were clearanced out. These are some smaller ones that you would find for about $5 at Lowes/Wal-mart etc. Anyway when we got them a few days ago some of their topmost leaves are very yellowed. We are in zone 5 and don't know exactly why they yellowed. Should we prune them back some?

Brad

Do you know if you have boxwood or japanese holly? These two are confused in the nursery business.........especially at lowes or home depot. Yellow leaves on the top would lead me to believe that they were under-watered or have some left over wind/winter burn. I usually don't prune a plant that I'm planting but I think I would go ahead and give them a little hair cut. As long as you have a healthy root system, they should flush out nicely.

Kozykitten
Newly Registered

Thanks Brad! We are pretty sure they are box hedges. We looked them up on the net to make sure since it wouldnt be the first time we bought a plant that wasn't what it was suppose to be LOL. They have a good root system and were also getting a little close to being rootbound. We'll go through and give them a bit of a haircut then. It is maybe the top 1/4-1/3 of the plant that is yellowed. Thanks for all your help!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”