ShoopsThumb
Newly Registered

Privacy hedge in mostly shady backyard

Greetings from Zone 4 in USA!

I have been seeking suggestions for some time on the proper bushes or trees for a privacy hedge.

The area would be a "U" shape on three sides of my back yard. It has high shade from the general layout of the land - house is on the south side of this area, 4 large evergreen trees are immediately to the south of the middle side of the "U", and houses to the right and left.

The soil is rich black Clarion belt. I don't know the pH.

I removed a hodgepodge of bushes from the same area - lilac, and three other like-sized varieties of which I was unfamiliar. They were ancient and had wooded out to stalky bottoms with sparse foliage on top.

I really wanted to put Arborvitiae Smaarsgaard (spelling?) but was told it needs more sun. Would Hicks Yew work? I don't really desire to have much spreading out, would prefer more columnar. Is Yew a toxicological liablity? I don't want to hurt any children who might be curious, etc.

Help please I am confused and keep getting different stories from Nursery folks. One says Burning Bush will work and another says it won't and I have to get some kind of bushes that spread to 12 feet wide (yikes!).

Thanks to anyone who might offer advice turning ShoopsThumb into GreenThumb!

ST

Brad

I'm not as famaliar with zone 4 as I am in 7. I'll give a few suggestions but I'm sure a few folks here are more knowledgable in this area. I think Hicks Yew would be fine. The arborvitae that you mentioned would be best in full sun, but will live in a shaded environment. It may be a little sparse but I think it would survive fine. How does hemlock do in zone 4? I would think about that one as well.

Hopefully that will help. :wink:

ShoopsThumb
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply Brad, I appreciate the info.

ST

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”