Dunno

Weeping willow cuttings

Hi, I am trying to establish some weeping willow cuttings that I took off of a weeping willow tree in my yard. About a day or two after I put the cuttings in soil they wither up and die. What should I do?

dunno

PLEASEEE HELP ME!!!!!!!!! PLEaSE

adam

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Try rooting the willows out in water first (or in a rooting mix). Just sticking them in will work if you keep it moist enough AND there's plenty of gas exchange (really clay or silty soils won't work as well). And save the water, as it's the original recipe for rooting hormone (old English manuscripts show them using "willow water" for rooting in the Middle Ages).

Sorry to have missed you the first time; thanks for hanging in...

Scott
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks alot. I will try that. I can take the cutting from anywhere on the weeping willow correct? Thanks

dunno

There are dark spots on the leaves of my willow. I was told that it means that it has just been very rainy, but I was also wondering if this is harming my willow and if there is anything that I can do to prevent it. Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Willows will root better from second year wood and the spots are some kind of leaf fungus (probably harmless, but you can spray with neem oil if you are really offended). Rainy weather always brings the fungii out of the woods...

Scott

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”