Sharon Marie

Magnolia Problem

I'm not sure if this is the same thing that happened to my maple tree- but does anyone have any suggestions. I'm only slightly sure it's a magnolia. I am not tree smart :) Here is a picture of the flower that comes on it in the spring as well
[img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/003-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/HPIM2381.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/HPIM2382.jpg[/img]
Thanks for any help!!!
Reduce - Reuse - Recycle.
Zone 6A - Jeffersonville, Indiana

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Try spraying the plant weekly with an aerated compost tea.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

Sharon Marie

Do Nurseries have this?

applestar
Mod

Earlier in the summer, when I was spraying regularly with the 10% milk (1:10 milk and water) I was able to keep similar mildew/spot problem off my small-flowered magnolia.

If you spray (either the milk solution or the compost tea that opabinia suggested) when humidity is high and you KNOW fungal problem is coming, or at first sign of problem -- when the leaves start to look coated in white, you can forestall the full scale blackening and yellowing of the leaves.

The milk solution if more of a preventive/early stage eradicant -- compost tea is better if the disease has already taken hold as in your photo.

Sharon Marie

I'm not sure where to get compost tea but I am defnitely going to do the milk thing!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the compost tea is generally something people make, not buy. There's a huge long thread going on now on aerated compost tea (ACT). Type that in the Search the Forum feature and you will find more than you ever wanted to know about ACT! :)

Not something I have done very much and I don't know if there's such a thing as non-aerated compost tea, i.e. can you just "dissolve" (I know technically that's not the right word, it makes more of a suspension not a solution) some compost in water and use that?

Sharon Marie

Tomorrow I am going to the local nursery and I will post updates on all my tree questions :)

Sharon Marie

Powdery mildew. I'm going to try the fungicide chlorothalonil he suggested.

Sharon Marie

All of the leaeves have fallen off. I have picked every last one up. The tree has small bud looking things on the tips of all the branches. I haven't sprayed the fungicide yet - should i spray the bark?

applestar
Mod

I've been thinking about getting Lime-Sulfur. I've seen it mentioned as pre-winterization regimen for bonsai (after trees have gone dormant, before being stored away in winter quarters) as well as good for fruit/nut tree disease and pest preventive. Most of the time, the descriptions seem to mention using it during the colder months. There's also dormant oil -- as the name suggests, used while the shrub/tree is dormant.

I wonder if either of these might be good choice in this instance?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”