Sharon Marie

Maple Tree

Black spot (well it looks just like it anyway) on my maple tree this year. After the leaves fall and I trim the tree (it's a young one) - should I worry about it next year? Any suggestions on the trimming? I don't want to have 4 huge branches that run the risk of falling on my home once the tree matures so I'd like to see what I can do to prevent that.
[img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/002-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/sharontrobaugh/001.jpg[/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

First thing I thought on both the magnolia and maple was anthranose so you might want to contact cooperate extension and see what they suggest for a fungicide. Best thing is to rake the fallen leaves up and discard to contain the spread. Or take a sample or photo to a local garden center and ask them and not a big box store because you might get a huh.

Sharon Marie

Thats a good idea. I'm going to take them to my local nursery this monday. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Oh, oh! If you do, could you get a positive ID of this tree? I have a sapling exactly like it. I *think* it's red/swamp maple or maybe sugar maple, but I intend to pull it out if it's a Norway maple. Mine has been getting these spots too. :?

Sharon Marie

I will definitely do this. I do not want my trees to suffer!!!

Sharon Marie

anthranose - is what the nursery said. This is a young tree - only about 10-12 feet tall by my best guess. He advised me to wait until all the leaves fall - collect them and transplant the tree somewhere away from the creek. The water in the creek did go over the base of the tree several times this year due to all of the rain. It is a silver maple by his identification. He says this is a common problem with silver maples and we should move the tree and treat with a fungicide. I did treat with a a fungicide in a blue bottle - I cant think of the name.
He suggested I use chlorothalonil. Any more suggestions?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”