jbear
Newly Registered

Growing a Mango Plant Indoors

Hello! My son planted a mango seed over the summer, and it's sprouting like a weed! It's been out on the deck all summer, and now I feel like it's getting too cold to leave it outside. Does anyone know an easy way to keep it alive indoors? Where should I keep it inside? Thanks for any information you can give me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a tropical... it likes warmth, humidity, and lots of light. Humidity you can accomplish by setting the pot on a humidity tray and misting the leaves occasionally. But it wants your warmest, sunniest spot.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

This plant will need bright light. From my experience they are tricky to work with. Be carful not to over water as well. In the winter they will dry out slower and need less water.

applestar
Mod

I talked about my mango seed sprouting experience here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83890

During the winter my seedling was on a filing cabinet upstairs under a southeast window, sufficiently AWAY from the window. Potted in a well draining soil mix and watered thoroughly, then not again until the pot felt lighter, and sprayed with filtered water morning and night. When drapes are drawn, make sure NOT to put cold sensitive plants between the window and the drapes where cold air can be trapped.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”