birdhouse-lady

Moving Blue Spruce

We are installing a fence and find that our little blue spruce (18 inches tall) is way too close to the fence line. It was the only one of three that we planted two years ago that made it. It now has new candles all over it and I don't want to loose it. The temperature here in central Texas is 100 degrees. Will I have to wait til fall to attempt the move? Any advice would be most welcome!! I also have a 3' tall pecan tree on the other side of the yard that will have to be moved also.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I would definately wait until the fall and be sure to soak the roots with water before digging the spruce up.

Incidentally, did you know that young spruce needles are edible as a spice. Somewhat akin to Rosemary.

birdhouse-lady

No I didn't. but if it doesn't make it at least we'll have something to eat!

Brad

I agree with opa. Fall would be a much better time for transplant. One thing to note with the pecan..........if the plant has been in the ground for a while, keep an eye out for a deeper "tap" root. This is one tree species that will typically have one deep root. You will want to try to dig a deeper root ball with this tree than you would need with the spruce.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hey, thanks Brad! I had missed that last little bit about the pecan tree. :)

birdhouse-lady

Thanks for all the good advice. The pecan tree is about 3 years old and about 40" high. I raised it from the nut but it has only been in the ground for about a year and a half. So I may need to get some assistance digging it. We have mostly limestone rock with a little dirt mixed in. Will let you know how it goes.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You may also want to read a previous post in this forum from November 15 about moving a Jade Plant tree. It's a different kind of tree, but the principles are the same. Disregard the part about it being a succulent though as that does not apply here. :wink:

Val

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”