Ronbo
Newly Registered

What type of small trees would be good for a planter?

I am looking for that Lake Tahoe look in my back yard. What type of trees would look good and work good in a 2x2x2 wood planter?

Thanks

Ronbo

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can't really answer that question without knowing where you are, what zone you are gardening in, and what sun exposure the little tree might get. For a planter like that a shrub might be a better fit than tree and there's some nice ones. Answer the above questions and we will try to give some suggestions!

Ronbo
Newly Registered

Not sure what zone, but I live in folsom, calif. Temp. range is 30 degrees to 108 fah. Some planters will get the afternoon sun and some the morning sun.

I am looking for something that looks like it came from lake tahoe..

Thanks

Ron

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Some pines that you could do like bonsai might give you the feel that you are seeking. It is a small space to do anything else. Maybe go to the bonsai forum and ask them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not a bad suggestion above, what you are thinking about in a way is a very big bonsai :)

I'm not entirely sure what the picture you have in your mind is, when you say you want it to look like Lake Tahoe, but the trees of Lake Tahoe (one of the most beautiful places in the world!) are mainly conifers: pines, firs, juniper, cedar, with some willow, alder, and aspen thrown in. Most of the conifers there grow to be 60 - 200 feet tall.

You can't have that in your container! But you could have a dwarf evergreen that would be proportionately sized to your container. Fir, cedar, cypress, juniper, larch, pine, spruce, arborvitae, and even giant sequoia are available in dwarf versions.

This is a link to a nursery that specializes in dwarf conifers, just so you can see pictures of what different ones look like and some information about what conditions they need:

https://www.singtree.com/Dwarf%20Conifers.cfm

Hope this helps some as a starting point.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”