luvmyyard65
Newly Registered

Techny Mission Arborvitae

I have another question: This afternoon, my husband and I purchased shrub called "Thuja occidentalis 'Techny Mission'. This appears to be an arborvitae that is quite hardy, and should do well in our back yard in far northern Illinois. In the next few days, we will plant the bush in place of a gobe arborvitae that did not do well. The new shrub will be placed in the same area that gets full sun, and we will be sure to dig a deep hole that is at least twice the width of the root ball, water well, and use both compost and regular soil in the hole, following the instructions carefully. Does anyone have additional planting advice, so that this new shrub does not meet the same fate as our poor globe arborvitae? Also, how should we care for it over the winter? Thanks in advance! :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Throw in a handful of bone meal and the first time you water after backfilling the hole use the end of your shovel to tamp the soil down around the root ball, then add more soil and water and use the end of your shovel again. You might have had air pockets. Arborvitae are generally hardy.

bewildered_nmsu

You could also use a root stimulator to get them off to the right start. Over the winter they won't need much water so be careful of over watering.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”