L124C
Newly Registered

Privet problems.

These Privets were all planted about three years ago, near San Francisco, some fog and wind, clay soil. All get yellow bordered leaves. Some are half the size of others with long leggy branches. Thoughts?

[img]https://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3162/privets.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do you fertilize it? Lack of nitrogen can cause yellowing in privet as can lack of iron. It looks like it hasn't been pruned for some time. I'd trim it all back and then fertilize. Does the part growing up by the fence get enough sun? Privet doesn't need full sun, but it does need some and the combination of your foggy climate and the fence shade may mean it doesn't get enough light.

L124C
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Do you fertilize it? Lack of nitrogen can cause yellowing in privet as can lack of iron. It looks like it hasn't been pruned for some time. I'd trim it all back and then fertilize. Does the part growing up by the fence get enough sun? Privet doesn't need full sun, but it does need some and the combination of your foggy climate and the fence shade may mean it doesn't get enough light.
I used some organic fertilizer in the Spring. Didn't seem to make much difference. They get plenty of sun. The picture is shot looking NE, so the privets have a SW exposure. The ones near the fence seem to be doing better than the others. I pruned the leggy ones a year ago, and they just seem to grow back leggy. I picked Privets because I thought they were supposed to be easy! :roll:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”