bug

Saplings growing in Pines

We have saplings growing in our towering pines.
What is the best way to kill the saplings?
Should I lop them, then paint the cut with Roundup?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

No, do not use round up. Just cut them up. Read the thread on round up in the general forum.

Round up would most likely kill the entire tree, not a good thing. BC Hydro used to use Round up to kill trees that were growing to close to power lines by drilling it into trees.

bug

Whoa, didn't mean to open a can of worms.. :shock: ..I know about and do not use roundup.

I was asking if that was the only way to kill the unwanted saplings as lopping them as you suggested does not solve my problem.

I found the thread about drilling and inserting copper.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That may work but over time the copper will by oxidized and copper ions will diffuse into the trees. This can be harmful

I would try the cutting off and then maybe seal with bees wax. You can get a bees wax sealent at nurseries and bonsai suppliers.

bug

thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Brad

Just lop them off. Conifers lack the ability to send up new shoots from old tissue. Lop 'em off and you'll be fine.

bug

Brad, no, no, I guess I wasn't clear.

I want to stop deciduous saplings growing up thru the mature pines.

Brad

Ok......gotcha. I misunderstood. How large the saplings are, and what species, will make a difference. Some species will be a little more tough to get rid of. Still, I would lop them off at soil level. They may come back depending on the tree. It may be a pain in the backside, but if you continually cut them down, the root system will eventually run out of energy to send new shoots up.

The other option is to try and remove as much of the root system of the saplings as possible. This will take care of the problem for sure, it will just be a little more work.

bug

Not sure of the species yet, but they are about 2-3 inches around.

Brad

Feel free to post a pic. We can try to I.D. it from there.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I agree with Brad - can you post us a photo so we don't give you the wrong advice?

bug

oh boy

they haven't even leafed out yet and I cAN'T post a pic (puter ignorant)

Grey
Greener Thumb

the pic posting we can help you with. And we arent going anywhere - so when it leafs out, we can help you :)

To post a photo, you need a place to upload it from your computer, like www.uploadit.org (it's free). Then when it's uploaded, copy the url and hit the IMG button when you post, paste the url in behind it, and click IMG again.

Brad

I'm fairly decent with twig and bud I.D. if you don't want to wait. "fairly" being the key word there. :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”