duncan_mackenzie

Unidentified Bush

Dear All, I inherited the following bush and do not know what it is. Can anyone help? The new growth starts off pinky/orange but turns green very quickly.

Thanks

https://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu152/duncan_mackenzie/Unidentified%20Bush/
Regards,

Duncan

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My first impulse was to say Rhododendron, but the red petioles would be an oddity for that plant. At least, I've never seen one with red petioles. I found this image of Daphniphyllum macropodium online, which has a very rhododendron-like growth habit, and does display the red petioles. I'm not positive this is what your shrub is, but I think it's a good possibility. You may want to research it further. I'm sorry I couldn't find a good close up photo, so you could see more detail, and perhaps, the resemblance to your shrub.

[img]https://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/JohnKugen/100_1983.jpg[/img]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

duncan_mackenzie

Daphniphyllum Macropodium

Kisal, Thanks for your post. My bush does look a bit like a Daphniphyllum, but the leaves don't droop and are not waxy, in the 20 months of looking at mine, I have never seen a flower bud. (as per other photos I've found on the web). Maybe it is another sub species.
Regards,

Duncan

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

unidentified shrub

I did some looking yesterday when you posted, but didn't find anything exactly like it, which is why I kept my mouth shut. I have that tip of the tongue feeling about this guy... I know I have seen it, just can't quite come up with it.

In the meantime, I would say definitely something in the broadleaf evergreen class. Daphiniphyllum is false daphne, but some of the true daphnes look a lot like this. Other broad leaf evergreens with similar leaf whorls include kalmia (mountain laurel), sweetbay laurel, wax myrtle, arbutus, and the rhododendron that was Kisal's first thought. You can look up pictures of these and see what you think

Sorry we haven't quite nailed it yet, interesting shrub. We would expect it to flower at some point (probably next spring) and that will solve the problem. Maybe it wasn't mature enough this spring or conditions weren't right.

applestar
Mod

It looks a bit like Pieris japonica to me (the leaves look smallish in your photos next to the plastic label in the ground and the Gaillardia? Coreopsis? flowers).

duncan_mackenzie

Unidentified Bush - Identified

Dear All, Thanks for all your posts.
Applestar put me on the track of Pieris Japonica, however, after looking at many photos online, it may be either Pieris Formosa 'Forestii' or Pieris Forest Flame.
Again, thanks for all your help. :D
Regards,

Duncan

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”