Westchester 108
Newly Registered

Limber Pine struggling

I have a limber pine (pinus flexilus 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid') that's drooping, with some of the new growth turning brown. I had it in a half-wine cask pot in a rooftop garden in the New York City in part shade, on a recommendation from the nursery that it would do fine in part shade. It did great. When I moved to Westchester, NY, I put it, still in a pot, in part-shade, since there's not a lot of direct sun near the house. It did beautifully for 9 months, and then the top started to droop. I decided this must be happening because it was getting root-bound in the pot. So I planted it in the garden, still in part-shade. It hasn't recovered since I planted it, and in the spring there was new growth, but all the branches still drooped, and now some of the new growth is turning brown, including at the top. I've researched the plant more this week, and see that many references don't say it can grow at all in part shade, and I realize now that where I planted could almost be characterized as full shade. Certainly it'll get strong sun in the fall once the leaves fall off the deciduous trees, but obviously that's not peak growing season.

Should I transplant it to a sunny spot? I hear they don't transplant all that well. I have been fertilizing it twice a year so don't feel that lack of nutrients is part of the problem.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Truthfully pines can be susceptible to city environs. I planted hemlocks in Charlotte and everyone told me they wouldn't make it and so far so good but they are in deep shade for the last 10 years. They get no wind. I wouldn't worry about the sun maybe its just stress. Find out next spring. Most plants don't enjoy being transplanted it's like someone living in NYC and moving to Denver.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”