clintbonnie
Newly Registered

How do I maintain Pampas Grass?

My new pompous grass is about 5 feet high and half dead looking after this winter.. Do I just cut the entire plant stocks down? If so, how far from the ground? thanks...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I've never grown "pompous grass" myself but, I've done a little searching on it and have found that in California, it's on the invasive list and have found some pictures of it that makes me think that it is of some sort of relation to corn.

Anyway, from the looks of things, I would cut it back to the ground and it should grow back. One thing is for sure, if you leave as is, it won't do much.

Let's wait to hear from Scott to see if is a problem in other states, etc. regarding invasiveness.

Brad

Here in NC, we cut it back to within about four inches from the ground.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not sure your grass has an attitude; are you sure we are not talking about pampas grass?
:?

Opa's right on about the invasive issue in Cali, but I have seen this one loose here yet, even down south. Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep an eye on it though; I have see Miscanthus exhibiting some invasive tendencies over the last five years that I hadn't seen before that. Global warming is going to change the rules we have been playing by...

Four inches sounds about right, Brad...

Scott

clintbonnie
Newly Registered

Oops... I guess it is spelled Pompas.. Thanks for everyone's help.. I took my weed wracker to it yesterday and removed it's attitude !

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yup - that's what you do to it. Mow it over - it'll come back 2x as healthy and happy.

You can do this to most grasses. Aztec, lirope, mondo grass... they love it. Best done in Spring - if you do it in Fall it'll start pushing out new growth that will only get killed or browned in the winter.

FairyDust
Cool Member

I had a pampas grass there in WA when I was younger. My dad accidently mowed it a few times when it was young but it always came right back. Once it got big enough so that he knew it wasn't just "regular" grass he never mowed it again and it always looked healthy. Ours was planted where it got sun most of the day but it ddn't get the late afternoon sun.

I really like Pampas grass and back in WA I never saw it being a problem, quite a few people had them in their yards. I hope it doesn't become invasive.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”