gardens20
Newly Registered

Rose of Sharon seeds

Can someone tell me how the Rose of Sharon seeds get started? Is it from the fallen blossoms drying out then dispersing their seeds? I've got to find a way to control the seeds from being dispersed throughout my yard and gardens. It's a nightmare! !

gardens20

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the blossoms fall, and the seedpods stay on the plant. they eventually dry and disperse seeds. I reckon if you're feeling ambitious, you could cut off all the pods after the flowers fall (depending on the size of the plant)...

got some of the same issues at my house, but they get mowed to death in yard-land, and mulched to death in garden-land, so I haven't bothered with them much.

gardens20
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your prompt response! I have been picking up the blossoms from the yard, everywhere they drop, thinking that they were the culprit. I will cut back some of those pods, as many as I can reach. My mowing has scarcely made a dent in destroying the seedlings, and they sprout everywhere!!

Thanks again!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Best is never to let the shrub/ tree set seed. Clip off all the flowers as soon as they are done and there won't be any seeds.

However, Rose of Sharon is very aggressive and it can spread from the roots as well. So even if it never makes a seed again, you will still have to be vigilant about getting rid of all the baby trees that pop up from the roots.

gardens20
Newly Registered

Thanks rainbow gardener for your help. I was not aware that this tree was such a nuisance!

gardens20

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup! my neighbor across the driveway has a purple blooming Rose of Sharon and so I now have one too -- on the OPPOSITE side of my house. I had been vigilantly getting rid of all the RoS babies on the near side and some how one on the far side got away from me and is now more than two feet tall and blooming. ... No idea how it planted itself over there...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”