katie moss

Grandfather Grey beard

Has anyone heard of this tree? I am trying to put flowering trees in my yard and my grandmother has one that is beautiful. It is around 15 years old..can it be moved without hurting it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The tree is a white Chinese Fringe tree (Chionanthus virginica). I have read that large specimens such as yours can be transplanted, but the survival rate is just slightly over 50%. I think I would hire professional arborists to move the tree. Otherwise, just get a smaller one to plant in your yard. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

katie moss

Thanks. I would hate for it to die. We have looked every where though and can't find one like it. Most that we have seen are bush like. This one is a tree, not huge but about the size of a crepe myrtle. well a regular size crepe myrtle. Any clues where to find them?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can buy them online. Here is one site that sells them:

https://www.willisorchards.com/product/Chinese+Fringe+Tree

I have never done business with that company, so cannot personally vouch for their reliability.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

katie moss

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”