sandrabrewer
Newly Registered

weeping willow trunk

My dogs have chewed my weeping willow trunk. What can I do to help the tree?

Brad

How much damage have they done? Is the trunk large? The tree should be ok if the dogs haven't chewed a full 360 degrees around one particular spot. As long as 1/3 of the vascular tissue under the bark is not damaged, I wouldn't worry too much. I would NOT use prune paint or anykind of trunk wrap to cover the wounds. Just let them heal naturally.

You may want to use a product called Liquid Fence or something similar to deter your dogs from that area.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You could seal any large gashes with beeswax. Look in the yellow pages to find some bee keepers, it's usually pretty cheap to buy bees wax from them. I just bought a bunch yesterday.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A paste of cayenne pepper mixed with a habanero based sauce will correct your dogs behavior quickly, doing no real physical harm but sending a real (and unforgettable :twisted: ) message. They won't do it twice...

I am not being mean to dogs, I am being nice to trees. Trees are living beings as well; they just move slower... :D

And a good one is a wonderful investment...Willows are wonderful trees and hardy; I would let wounds heal naturally unless the tree shows signs of distress at the wound site...

HG

sandrabrewer
Newly Registered

Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

De nada.

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:A paste of cayenne pepper mixed with a habanero based sauce will correct your dogs behavior quickly, doing no real physical harm but sending a real (and unforgettable :twisted: ) message. They won't do it twice...

HG
Well....... it might work on SOME dogs. I tried it with one of mine to correct a behavior - and she LIKED it. She sat there and kept licking the stuff off! My other dog probably wouldn't care for it. It depends on the dog - lol.

You could put up a small wire cage around the base of the tree to keep the dogs from chewing up. Just make sure there's room for the tree to expand.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”