anja

box/privet

is box plant the same as the privet hedge?
went to the garden centre today and they where selling box plants it didnt say how tall they grow
they seem to look the same if not does the box plant grow as fast and as high as the privet?

bewildered_nmsu

They are different plants. Boxwood (sometimes called just box) is typically a low hedge 2-3' high. Privet makes a much larger hedge, up to 10' tall.

anja

Cheryl Driskell
Newly Registered

Be careful and keep the privet under comtrol, it can get quite invasive. We have it here in Alabama and it can take over just about everywhere. I have 11 acres out in the country and it is throughout our naturally wooded areas. It even pops up around the bases of large trees in the groomed areas of our yard.

andrea922

Does anyone know how fast privet grows? I was considering planting it at the border of my property for privacy.

GeorgiaGirl

andrea922 wrote:Does anyone know how fast privet grows? I was considering planting it at the border of my property for privacy.
They are fast-growing and make for a wonderful privacy hedge. We had several planted when our home was built and they were less than a foot tall. Within three years, they were over 7 feet tall and absolutely gorgeous. I did prune them once this past spring but they really don't have to be pruned IMO (as long as you plant them where you don't mind how tall they get). They are SO much prettier than boxwood and the other common hedges/privacy screens.

I have heard what Cheryl said, that they're very invasive, but for some reason we haven't had any problems with their invasiveness. Frankly I wouldn't mind if I did because there are several spots throughout our property where I'd love to have them growing. Their evergreen leaves are beautiful and their delicate spring blooms are pretty as well... and they look fabulous in winter when so much is dead and brown.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”