Just Getting Started

Killing off a Vicca Vine without killing my Knockout Roses

Anyone,

I have a Vicca Vine that is in the middle of about 10 Knockout Rose bushes. This Vicca is smothering my roses and I have heard that a strong salt solution on the root will kill it. I also have heard the painting the Vicca root with Roundup will do the tricj also. My plan is to cut back the Vicca Vine as far as I can then put a bucket with the bottom cut out of it over the root. Then I was going to put a layer of Rock Salt on top of the root and just add water to it or let the rain water run on the salt thus making that salt solution be a constant deterant for the growth of the vine. My only concern is that this approach may cause the solution to spread out in the ground and kill off my knock out roses that are nearby. They are about 3 feet away from this Vicca root. Do you think will this happen?

I value your input,

Just Getting Started

applestar
Mod

I think cardboard and mulch would be a safer route. You don't want to put salt in the root area of your roses. Just cut down and remove as much of the vine as you can (I would use a long handled lopper and a narrow rake or a claw hoe), then level the area (if mulched), water well, and put wet corrugated cardboard over the vine. Top with mulch to hide the cardboard and to keep them from blowing aside/away.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”