kdf_03

Will a shrub grow back from its roots?

We had 3 evergreen (I apologize I am not exactly sure of the name) bushes in our front yard which have now been cut down. All that is left are the "trunks" and the roots. However, some of the roots extend beyond an area we can remove them from. Will any thing grow back from the deep roots? These were over 20 years old and the roots are probably 2-3 inches thick. There is no real issue removing the main "trunk" of the plant. I am just concerned about the remaining roots interrupting any new plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a picture (They have already been chopped down) but here is a similar bush to give you a better idea of what I am working with...

[img]https://farm1.static.flickr.com/68/214383832_14271099f1.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't see it really well, but it looks like it might be a juniper of some sort. I had a group of junipers removed from in front of my front porch 3 years ago, and the trunks were removed, but the roots were left in the ground. It has not grown back, not even a tiny sprout.

I've planted other shrubs there since the juniper were removed, so it's even been kept watered and fertilized. Still nothing. :)

kdf_03

Thank you! That makes me feel so much better. It has been so much work getting out what roots we can oi!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Once a juniper is cut down, and stripped of all its greenery, it will not grow back.

kdf_03

Thanks again! It has been horrible digging those stumps out and getting out what roots I can...quite a workout! However I have done more that I thought I could with just me, a shovel and a pair of pruning shears... :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”