NCTiger
Newly Registered

Help For Dying Foundation Shrubs

I bought a 5 year old house in Winston-Salem, NC 4 years ago which had established landscaping. Since then, ~6-7 of the foundation plants have died or are in the process of dying. The plants are mature China Girl and China Boy hollies and one Japanese holly. The plants are on the west side of the house. The leaves typically turn yellow, then brown. The shrub will normally die in sections, ie., the leaves start turning on one side of the plant and gradually moves to the other side. It typically takes 1-2 years for the plant to completely die. A neighbor thinks the problem is nematodes. A landscape architect doing some work for me thinks it might be root rot. The soil is pretty heavy clay. Any thoughts on the cause and/or cure? Thanks.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Dig up around the roots of a dying plant and check to see if it is root rot.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Could well be bathtub clay conditions; none on your list would like those soil conditions. While nematodes are still a possibility, I'd check soil first.

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

While we are on the topic, other than adding organic matter (and therefore increasing the diversity of organisms in the soil including predatory nematodes, beneficial bateria, fungi and the like as well as some of the bad guys as well (a healthy soil has both the good and the bad and good keep the bad in check)

Anyway, other than that; does anyone have any other organic techniques for controlling nematodes?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Predatory nematodes are the best line of defense; fight fire with fire... 8)

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Now here is the question, around here one is able to buy predatory nematods from the BUG LADY but, what about elsewhere?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Heres a great overview of nematodes

[url]https://www.lycheesonline.com/nematodes.cfm[/url]

And here's where to buy them

[url]https://www.naturescontrol.com/nemavictims.html[/url]

8)

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I knew that someone would have an answer :wink: Thank you muchly Scott.

Brad

In our area, I bet you have some drainage issues. Were the plants installed by the builder? That is the most common probem that I see with foundation plant problems in NC.

NCTiger
Newly Registered

I'm pretty sure thay were planted by the builder. I'll soon be replacing most of the foundation plants. Any general tips on avoiding drainage problems like this? TIA

Brad

Builders are notorius for digging a half-azz hole, then popping the plant in and moving on. If you can, till the area well, then add some soil amendment (either soil conditioner or leaf mulch), then till again. Dig your hole about two-three times the width of the rootball and leave a small portion of the ball above grade. This should get you in much better shape.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I totally agree (with all tha above...)

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”