Sharon Marie

New Oak Tree

We moved into our home last July. Oak tree did well. This year - it seems that I found some japanese beetles on the leaves and where they were - they left permanent black (burn looking) spots on the leaves? I sprayed incecticidal (spelling??) on it and it doesn't seem to keep them off for too long. Same with my roses. Any suggestions? The branches look sort of spotty too. Any help would be so appreciated.

Diane
Green Thumb

I had japanese beetles on my grape vines. I don't remember them leaving dark marks. They always left holes.

valleytreeman

JBs are highly mobile and will constantly reenter you treated areas as long as the adults are flying. There is not a really good permanent solution. Some years will be worse than others. You can use repeat sprays on things like roses if you must blemish free plants.

Sharon Marie

Any ideas on what the black spots are? They look like solid round black burns.

Diane
Green Thumb

Sharon Marie wrote:Any ideas on what the black spots are? They look like solid round black burns.
My rose leaves get black spot just about every year. I don't overhead water so I don't know why I always get it.
I found this info.

https://afee.cfans.umn.edu/ffacon/ascr06.pdf

Difficulty: Moderately challengingInstructionsThings You'll Need:
Dormant Oil
Bordeaux Mixture
Leaf Rakes
Plastic Bags
Plastic bags
1 teaspoon baking soda
Step 1Look for black spot on the leaves of rose plants. This fungus disease will appear as round, black spots ringed by yellow tissue.

Step 2Water roses only from below. Try not to get the foliage wet when you water.

Step 3Water in the early morning hours so the rose plant has time to dry during the day.

Step 4Rake up any fallen leaves from the soil surrounding the plant. Black spot as well as other fungus diseases are transmitted by water splashing back up onto the leaves and stems.

Step 5Remove any diseased leaves. Pick off and destroy any foliage that has evidence of black spot. Dispose of infected foliage in a sealed plastic bag.

Step 6Dust roses infected with black spot with sulfur powder. Sulfur will not kill the fungus spores, but it will prevent a new generation from germinating.

Step 7Spray a solution of 1 tsp. baking soda mixed in 1 qt. warm water in the early morning hours.

Step 8Spray roses with a dormant oil or Bordeaux mixture when plants are dormant (usually in winter).

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”