gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone trim their Willow Trees?

I have 2 Willows in my yard. I Live in a subdivision and bought this house 3-4 years old. I think they may have gotten a little close to the neighbors when planting these. We had willows growing up and as you know they get HUGE.

My main concern right now is cutting grass under them it was such a pain at my parents house and is a pain here as well. I just want to trim them up so I can get under them a bit. I did go out a few month's ago and trim them to about waste level. They seem to be doing just fine. Anyone ever have problems with trimming these.

They get more than sufficient water the original owner had the gutters hooked up to drain pipes that dump right before the trees. They have exponentially grown since panted. They are about 4 years old and and 25-30 foot tall.

Dono

Jennlily
Newly Registered

Hi Dono,

I never had willows of my own, but growing up near a park where I lived, the groundskeepers always trimmed the willows every spring after the new growth so that they looked like perfectly trimmed umbrellas and people could walk under them without having to duck. They were 25+ years old, and the trees didn't seem to mind at all. Neighbors who had willows ended up with other issues with their roots getting into the septic system and pushing against the foundation and they would trim them every year as well. Good luck! :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I had willows at a place I used to own. I always kept them trimmed up to about 4' above ground level. I thought it looked tidy, and it allowed me to mow underneath without difficulty. The trees did fine, and were still doing fine a couple of years ago, when I last went by to see the old place. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:I had willows at a place I used to own. I always kept them trimmed up to about 4' above ground level. I thought it looked tidy, and it allowed me to mow underneath without difficulty. The trees did fine, and were still doing fine a couple of years ago, when I last went by to see the old place. :)
Yeah I would like to think that they are pretty much indestructible. I can't remember what it is called right now but I hear you can cut them down to the stump only to grow back. Just making sure.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”